Title – OHV Area Monitor
Part Time to Full Time Hours – 24-40/Week
Friends of El Mirage is a non-profit organization that assists the Bureau of Land Management in operating the El Mirage OHV Recreation Area, and in restoring closed OHV trails on public lands in areas adjacent to the fenced OHV area. We have an immediate opening for an OHV Area Monitor to perform the following activities:
- Conduct vehicle patrols along the perimeter of the El Mirage Dry Lake when it is closed due to wet conditions.
- Conduct vehicle patrols on dirt roads inside the El Mirage OHV Recreation Area to identify and record sites with trash left behind by visitors.
- Inspect vault toilets for graffiti and trash, and assess need for periodic pumping
- Identify and record fence cuts and signs needing replacing
- Perform efficacy monitoring of closed and restored OHV trails; and identify closed OHV trails that are candidates for restoration.
Monitoring may include some casual visitor contact, but illegal uses of the lakebed and area trails will only be recorded and, if necessary, reported to law enforcement.
The monitor will work 24 to 40 hours per week as needed, including Saturdays, Sundays, and holidays mostly between the OHV season of September through June, and some weekdays. The monitor will drive a four wheel drive vehicle provided by Friends of El Mirage and must have a satisfactory driving record.
Title – Restoration Crew Member – Starting at $XX/hr.
(Full/Part) Time Hours – 24/Week
Title – OHV Park Maintenance Worker – Starting at $16/hr.
Full Time Hours – 40/Week
Love working outdoors? Love off-roading? We’d love to have you on our team!
The 27,000-acre El Mirage Off-Highway Vehicle Recreation Area is a world class destination for many diverse recreational opportunities, both motorized and non-motorized. Friends of El Mirage are seeking outdoor-loving employees to help maintain the dry lakebed, OHV trails, and facilities for our many visitors.
- Maintaining the El Mirage Dry Lakebed.
- Installing directional signs on designated OHV trails in the open area.
- Maintaining camp areas and facilities for our guests.
Title – Visitor Center Staff – Starting at $16/hr.
Part Time Hours – 24/Week
Staff provide support to visitor center operations and perform maintenance daily from 8:00AM to 4:30PM and as required on holidays/special events.
- Processing Transactions in the Visitor Center.
- Distributing Trail Maps & handouts for OHV riding.
- Answering questions about the OHV area.
Title – On-Call Field Archeologist
Location: West Mojave Desert
Nonprofit organizations requires a Seasonal Field Archeological to assist with off-highway vehicle restoration projects on public lands managed by the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) in the West Mojave Desert.
Friends of Jawbone (FOJ) and Friends of El Mirage (FOEM) are non-profit organizations in support of off-highway vehicle recreation in the West Mojave Desert. Among our activities are restoration projects on public lands managed by the BLM. Each year we restore 20-30 miles of motorized routes that are designated closed, with current projects in the Jawbone, Rand Mountains, El Paso Mountains, and Middle Knob regions. Rate of pay is based upon experience.
- Self-navigating backcountry roads to specific proposed restoration worksites; vehicle provided
- Perform cultural clearance surveys
- Report and coordinate results to BLM cultural staff
- Ability to work independently but as a member of a team
- Ability to work safely and efficiently in challenging conditions and terrain
- Previous experience performing cultural field surveys, preferably in the Southwestern U.S.
- Familiarity with ESRI mapping and data management tools
- Possesses valid drivers license and good driving record
For more information about a position, or to submit an application, please use the contact form below.
You can also email your resume to email@example.com directly, just be sure to include a phone number we can use to reach you.
Friends of El Mirage is an equal opportunity employer, and we prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.