Registration and Licensing of Vehicles

Vehicles operated on bladed dirt roads and paved highways (publicly maintained roads) must be registered for highway use. These roads may be crossed on one side of the road to another, but are not to be used for travel. (38025 CVC) All required safety equipment must be installed on such vehicles. No OHV may travel on paved roads.

Off-Highway Vehicles owned by California residents must be registered with the California Department of Motor Vehicles and must display a valid “Green Sticker” registration plate properly on the vehicle. (38010 CVC and 38170 CVC)

If you are not a resident of California and your Off-Highway vehicle is not registered in your home state, you are required to have a Non-Resident “Green Sticker” OHV permit, issued by California Department of Parks and Recreation, to operate your vehicle in the state of California. (38020 CVC) The display locations on the vehicle are the same as those specified for California Green Stickers. (38170 CVC)


It is illegal for anyone who is under the influence of alcohol or drugs to operate an OHV. In addition, operating or riding ANY OHV with an open container of alcohol is prohibited. (23152(a) CVC)

Possession or use of any glass container, empty or not, used for carrying any liquid for drinking purposes is prohibited. (43 CFR 8365.1-6)

OHVs must be equipped with an approved muffler, brakes, and spark arrestor. (38365,38355, and 38366 CVC) Seat belts are to be worn if your vehicle is equipped with them. The OHV operator must 16 years of age in the State of California.

Headlights and taillights are required when driving between one-half hour after sunset to one-half hour before sunrise. (38335 CVC)

OHVs are not to be operated faster than what is safe for the conditions of the area. (38305 CVC) When riding within 50 feet of any campground, campsite, or concentration of people or animals, speeds cannot exceed 15 mph. (38310 CVC) It is unlawful for any person to drive any motor vehicle in any manner with a willful and wanton disregard for the safety of other persons. (38316 CVC)

The El Mirage OHV Area is a No Shooting Area. (43 CFR 8365.1-6) It is illegal to possess and/or discharge fireworks. (43 CFR 8365.2-5(a))

On the ground, motorized vehicles should yield to non-motorized craft and aircraft.

ATV Regulations and Appropriate Safety Gear

All persons, regardless of age, who operate an ATV on public lands must wear an approved safety helmet. (38505 CVC)

Persons less than 16 years of age must be supervised by a parent or guardian. (38504 CVC) Carrying passengers is prohibited on ATVs. (38506 CVC)

In the State of California ages 6-17 must be certified to ride, or the parents certified to ride. At the park you can be ticketed, have points added on your record, and made to take the class for $150. This class is given here at El Mirage for FREE each second Saturday of every month. You can contact Nicole Slapper at (760) 983-9417 to register for the classes. Or contact ASI at +1 (877) 216-8779.

Regulations for the Use of Public Lands

The lake bed is closed to all users where wet or muddy.

Any actions that result in surface disturbance or destruction are illegal. (43 CFR 8365.1-6)

No person will operate an Off-Highway vehicle in a manner likely to cause unnecessary damage to land, wildlife, wildlife habitat, or vegetative resources. (38319 CVC)

Please help protect Joshua Trees. It is prohibited to dig up, remove, or destroy any tree or shrub. Bring your own nail-free firewood.

The desert tortoise is listed as a threatened species. Do not handle tortoises. They may lose water when frightened, risking death through dehydration. (CA F&G 5000)

Camping on BLM lands is limited to 14 days. Camping is not allowed “in the open” on the lakebed, more than 100 feet away from the shore. After 14 days, you have to have to leave the park for a 35 mile radius for 30 consecutive days. It is unlawful to leave a campfire without extinguishing it. NO PALLETS, NO WOOD WITH NAILS, NO GLASS! Pallets will be confiscated. Campfire permits are required during periods of high fire danger. (43 CFR 9212.1)

Pack it in! Pack it out!
It is illegal to leave litter on public land. (43 CFR 4140.1 (b(6)).

Telephone Numbers

Emergency Dial: 911
San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department
(909) 884-0156

BLM Emergency Assistance (Dispatch)
(800) 637-9152

BLM Barstow Field Office/Event Permit Information
(760) 252-6000

Filming/Photography Permit Information
(909) 300-5648

Friends of El Mirage
(760) 523-0283

Desert Valley Hospital
16850 Bear Valley Road, Victorville, CA 92395
(760) 241-8000 (Open 24 Hours)

St. Mary Regional Medical Center
18300 Highway 18, Apple Valley, CA 92307
(760) 242-2311 (Open 24 Hours)

Victor Valley Global Medical Center
15248 11th Street, Victorville, CA 92395
(760) 245-8691 (Open 24 Hours)